Description of the Major:
The Department of Music believes music has intrinsic value as a vital and indispensable part of the human experience and nurtures the artistic and creative impulse common to all societies. We seek to cultivate and sustain a student-centered learning community which supports superior professional, musical experiences and pedagogical training for students pursuing a Bachelor or Arts degree in music with three specialized options: Performance, Teacher Preparation or General Studies. In addition, a variety of ensemble performance opportunities are available for students of any major, and participation in Concert Choir, Symphonic Band and Jazz After Hours can be used to fulfill University core education requirements.
The Student Experience:
- Students who are pursuing teaching certification can enter the MAT program - a graduate option for students with a completed bachelor's degree in music with emphasis in teacher preparation pre-certification.
- All majors can participate in a variety of ensembles including Concert Choir, Chamber Choir, Pop 101, Wind and Percussion ensembles, Symphonic Band, Pep Band, Jazz After Hours (Coastal Carolina University's big band), World Percussion ensemble, and guitar ensembles. The Concert Choir, Symphonic Band and Jazz After Hours can be used to fulfill core requirements.
- The Spirit of the Chanticleer Marching Band is open to all majors and performs regularly at home and away football games, parades and festivals, and accepts invitations to perform at high school marching band exhibitions.
- Ensemble performance stipends are available for participating members in the Marching Band, Pep Band, Chamber Choir and Jazz After Hours.
- Music majors are eligible for both the Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) Award and the Music Performance Award. The VPA Award is available to students who present SAT scores of at least 1000 (combination of math and verbal sections of test) or ACT scores of 21, have a minimum high school cumulative grade point average of 3.0, and are recommended by the Music Department through audition. The Music Performance Award is a competitive award determined by the Music Department through audition only.
- Auditions are required for entry into the degree program and for scholarship consideration.
Beyond the Classroom:
Career opportunities for Music majors include:
Areas of Study:
|Basic Musicianship I||History of Western Music|
|Music Theory I||Conducting I|
|Basic Music Technology||Ensemble & Individual Applied Study in Music|
For more information:
- Philip Powell, DMA, Chair of the Department, 843-349-2515 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paula Gwaltney, Administrative Assistant, 843-349-2637 or email@example.com
- You can also find more information at www.coastal.edu/music.