Commencement Severe Weather Plan
Coastal Carolina University's severe weather plan is defined as potentially dangerous weather, torrential downpour, high winds, lightning and any other unsafe conditions for our guests to sit outside. If it is just raining, commencement will remain outdoors at Brooks Stadium. Umbrellas are discouraged inside Brooks Stadium because they obstruct sight lines and also due to the drip off on other guests seated adjacent.
Please advise your family and friends to be prepared for all types of weather during the weekend.
If we determine early Saturday morning that we need to enact our severe weather plan and move the ceremony inside the HTC Student Recreation and Convocation Center, details will be announced via:
- online at coastal.edu/commencement/commencementday/severeweatherplan/
- online at coastal.edu
- Twitter at twitter.com/CCUChanticleers
- Facebook at facebook.com/CoastalCarolinaUniversity
- recorded phone message on CCU Hotline at 843-349-2079
Commencement Severe Weather Plan Tickets
In case of severe weather, there will be two separate ceremonies at the HTC Center, located on the University's campus. Because it is a smaller venue than the outdoor stadium, severe weather plan tickets are required for the ceremony and seating is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. General Admission tickets for Brooks Stadium will NOT be accepted for the severe weather plan. Graduates do not need a ticket.
Graduates will be allowed up to 5 severe weather plan tickets each. Severe weather plan tickets are available for pick-up Wednesday, April 9 until Thursday, May 8, in the same manner as the General Admission tickets. These tickets will become necessary ONLY if we enact our severe weather plan and move the ceremony to the indoor location. Otherwise, these tickets will NOT be used.
- We cannot issue more that 5 severe weather plan tickets per student, as indoor seating is very limited.
- Severe weather plan tickets may NOT be used in lieu of or in addition to the General Admission tickets for Brooks Stadium nor vice versa. Should the severe weather plan have to be implemented, only "Commencement Severe Weather Plan" tickets will be accepted for admittance and only to ONE of the commencement ceremonies as indicated on the ticket.
Guests without severe weather plan tickets:
Please note that if weather conditions are severe enough to move the ceremony indoors, we will provide alternative viewing options for guests without severe weather plan tickets:
- Online webcast at coastal.edu/commencement/spring_stream.html
- Live feed of the ceremony will be available for viewing in Wheelwright Auditorium for guests who do not have tickets to the ceremony. Wheelwright Auditorium is located on the campus of Coastal Carolina University at 108 Spadoni Park Circle right next to the bell tower.
- A DVD is available for purchase coastal.edu/commencement/orders/
Commencement Severe Weather Plan Schedule
If the severe weather plan is enacted, there will be two separate ceremonies in the HTC Center, and admission will be by severe weather plan ticket only. The degree groups will be honored at the following times:
9 a.m. Ceremony (doors open and student line-up at 8 a.m.)
Thomas W. and Robin W. Edwards College of Humanities and Fine Arts and the College of Science (Graduate and Undergraduate)
1 p.m. Ceremony (doors open and student line-up at noon)
E. Craig Wall Sr. College of Business Administration, Spadoni College of Education and University College (Graduate and Undergraduate)
Because of multiple ceremonies, we encourage families not to arrive before specified student arrival time for their ceremony. Degree candidates will be directed to student line-up arranged by college. Guests will be seated on a first-come first-served basis.
Please note, as this is a ceremonial event, we ask that all guests conduct themselves befitting the occasion. Alcohol is expressly forbidden. Glassware, bottles, weapons, signs, and other items that could contribute to hazardous conditions are not allowed and will be confiscated. Anyone with items deemed to be unsafe or to be safety hazards will be asked to leave the ceremony. Because they detract from the ceremony, umbrellas, balloons, balls or blow-up objects of any kind are prohibited. Guests are not permitted in the graduate seating area and are to remain seated during the entire Commencement service. Taking pictures and videotaping is allowed, but tripods and monopods are not permitted. Cameras must be battery-operated and patrons must remain seated while taking photographs and videotaping. No strollers, car seats, or baby carriers of any kind will be allowed in the seating area.