"News You Can Use"
New Verification Regulations
Beginning in 2012-2013 all institutions are no longer able to accept copies of student and parent taxes for verification purposes.
If selected for verification, the student and parent will need to utilize the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool or request a copy of their Tax Return Transcripts directly from the IRS.
Note: If you file your taxes electronically, there is a two week wait before you are able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. If you file your taxes by paper, there is a six to eight week wait for access to the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
Financial Aid & Scholarships mails a paper letter to the active home address for the initial notification of documents needed to complete the verification process. All subsequent correspondence is sent to the student's Coastal email address.
New IRS Data Retrieval Tool
Hints for smoother FAFSA filing and processing:
- File your taxes early! Preferably before March 1!
- Complete the 2012-2013 FAFSA soon after filing your taxes!
- Utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool while completing the FAFSA
This allows the IRS data to upload into your FAFSA, eliminating errors and incorrect reporting.
For a more detailed explanation of verification and the process, please click here.
Financial Aid & Scholarship Tools
Important FAS Links:
- Financial Aid Checklist
- Check the status of required FA Actions and Documents under the Financial Aid Banner via Webadvisor
- Important Financial Aid News