General Scholarship Frequently Asked Questions
I am an incoming freshman student, what scholarships could I be eligible for?
I am an incoming transfer student, what scholarships could I be eligible for?
I am a continuing CCU student, what scholarships could I be eligible for?
I am an international student, what scholarships could I be eligible for?
I am a graduate student, what scholarships could I be eligible for?
I was named to the Dean’s/President’s List, what scholarships could I be eligible for?
I am considering attending a Study Abroad; will I be able to use my scholarships towards the Study Abroad?
Am I required to complete the FAFSA if I am receiving a scholarship?
Currently scholarship recipients are not required to complete the FAFSA, however it is highly encouraged. Also, some application-based scholarships have a financial need requirement. In order for financial need to be calculated to determine eligibility for these awards, the FAFSA would need to be completed by March 1st each year.
Am I required to enroll full time to receive a scholarship?
Generally yes; with the exception to some of the application-based scholarships, all scholarships require full time enrollment (at least 12 credit hours) each semester.
For how long are scholarships awarded?
- Merit-Based Scholarships:
- Freshmen awards: may be awarded for up to 8 continuous semesters provided student meets renewal requirements each year.
- Transfer Awards: the maximum number of terms is dependent on the number of transfer hours a student enters with, provided student meets renewal requirements each year. Further details are outlined in the scholarship policy sent with the initial offer letter.
- Application-Based Scholarships:
- Generally are awarded for one academic year only, and a student is required to re-apply each year for consideration.
- SC-State Lottery Scholarships:
- Please see the ‘SC State Lottery Questions’ section to access information from the SC Commission on Higher Education’s website. <.li>
- Other Scholarships:
- Refer to the original offer letter for the award.
Are there any scholarships available to be awarded in the summer?
Generally no, however students are highly encouraged to complete the ‘Summer Financial Aid Application’ by the May 15th deadline in order to determine which specific financial aid awards (including any scholarships) may be available to them.
I’ve received a scholarship from an organization outside of CCU, what should I do?
If you have been awarded a scholarship from a source other than CCU please mail your award letter and/or check to:
Coastal Carolina University
Office of Student Accounts
PO Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528
This type of aid will not appear as pending financial aid on the student's bill. It will be posted directly to the student's account. If you have questions please contact Office of Student Accounts at 843-349-2159 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is there a maximum amount of scholarships I may receive?
As with any financial aid, the total amount of all financial aid and scholarship awards may not exceed the annual cost of attendance as set by Financial Aid & Scholarships. Cost of Attendance figures may be found on the Financial Aid Webpage.
Are there any scholarships available that are not based on merit, such as community service, first generation/first in family college student, Native American or other ethnicities, medical/health issues such as cancer diagnosis, military/veteran scholarships, or non-traditional student opportunities?
Some scholarships for ‘unique situations/circumstances’ are available through the application-based scholarship program. However, students are encouraged to visit our external scholarship webpage to search for various scholarship opportunities available from organizations outside of the university.