South Carolina Need Based Grant Guidelines
If you are awarded a State Need Based Grant, your award will be included in your award notification. Eligibility for a State Need Based Grant, and for continued eligibility in subsequent years, is based upon the requirements below. If you are awarded a State Need Based Grant, you must complete a certification statement at http://www.coastal.edu/financialaid/forms.html
General Eligibility Requirements
- You must be a legal resident of the state of South Carolina
- You must be at least a half-time undergraduate student seeking your first baccalaureate degree
- You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have financial need as defined by Title IV regulations
- You must not have been judged delinquent, nor have been convicted or pled guilty or nolo contendere to any felony in any state
- You must not have been convicted of any second or subsequent alcohol or drug-related misdemeanor in any state within the past academic year
- You must not be in default or owe a refund or repayment on any Federal or State financial aid
- You must be making satisfactory academic progress for federal and state aid as defined below:
Eligibility Requirements for Continuing Students
- You must meet all general eligibility requirements
- If you received a State Need Based Grant during the previous year:
- You MUST have earned 24 credits hours if enrolled full-time or have earned 12 credit hours if enrolled part-time within an academic year (fall, spring or summer semesters)
- You MUST have earned a minimum 2.0 CCU cumulative grade point average on a 4.0 scale by the end of the summer term
Terms of Eligibility
You may receive a State Need Based Grant for no more than eight full-time (equivalent) semesters.
Dropping a Class or Withdrawing
If you are receiving a State Need Based Grant or any other financial aid, dropping a class or withdrawing may affect your potential refund. Depending upon the type(s) of financial aid awards involved, the withdrawal date, the amount of the refund, and other factors, you might receive a portion of the total refund amount or none of the refund amount. Under certain circumstances, if you withdraw or drop classes, you will be required to repay financial aid funds you received including a State Need Based Grant. This is necessary when the refund amount is insufficient to meet the financial aid fund recovery requirements. If you are considering withdrawing or dropping classes, you should contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships before taking this action.
The information on this document is subject to change by either the South Carolina Legislature or the Commission on Higher Education. You may view the most recent guidelines for the State Need Based Grant program on the Internet at: www.che400.state.sc.us. Click on Student Services and select "State Need Based Grant".