Scholarships for Study Abroad
There are a number of scholarship opportunities available to Coastal Carolina University students who interested in studying abroad. Feel free to reach out to the Office of International Programs & Services if you have any questions or need further guidance.
Horry County Higher Education Commission International Awareness Award
The Horry County Higher Education Commission International Awareness Award is available to assist graduates of accredited high schools in Horry County to participate in study abroad programs. This scholarship is for new or continuing Coastal Carolina University (University) students who graduated from an accredited high school in Horry County, South Carolina.
Please note: You do not have to be accepted into a short-term program to apply for scholarship.
Criteria for the Financial Award
To qualify for the award, the recipient must meet each of the following conditions:
- Be a new or continuing Coastal Carolina University undergraduate student who graduated from an accredited high school in Horry County
- Be a:
- new freshman with a minimum 2.75 cumulative high school GPA and 1,000 SAT (Mathematics and Critical Reading) or 21 ACT, or
- new transfer student with a minimum cumulative collegiate GPA of 2.75, or
- continuing student at Coastal Carolina University with a minimum cumulative Coastal Carolina University GPA of 2.75
- Demonstrate financial need through the completion of the FAFSA and as defined by the Office of Financial Aid
- Submit an application with a typed essay (no longer than 1,200 words) addressing each of the following:
- Recipient’s desired international study experience;
- How an international study experience will enrich the recipient’s academic program and personal/professional development;
- Identify efforts in which the recipient has engaged in activities to increase global awareness.
Deadline for Application for 2014 Maymester/Short-Term CCU study abroad programs: November 1, 2013
For more information and scholarship application: 2013-14 Horry County Higher Education Scholarship - Application
Wall College of Business Board of Visitors International Programs Scholarship
Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX)
The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX) is a yearlong fellowship to study and intern in Germany. CBYX is open to applicants in all career fields, though preference is given to students in STEM fields, agriculture, business, and vocational fields. Students traditionally underrepresented in study abroad opportunities are especially encouraged to apply.
The fellowship is funded by the US and German governments through a grant provided by the US Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, under the authority of the Fulbright-Hays Act of 1961, as amended. More information can be found at www.CBYX.info.
The CBYX program annually provides 75 participants with:
- 2 months intensive German language training
- 1 semester of study at a German university or university of applied sciences
- 5-month internship with a German company in the participant’s career field
- Transatlantic airfare, health insurance, and monthly living expense stipends
Prior German language knowledge is not required, though it is preferred. Applicants should have clear career goals and some relevant work experience in their career field, which may include summer, part-time, or internship work.
Participants must be between the ages of 18-24, possess a high school diploma or equivalent, and be US citizens or permanent residents.
Interested applicants can apply online at www.CBYX.info. The application deadline for the 2014-2015 program is December 1, 2013.
Gilman Scholarship (for Pell Grant Recipients only)
Ms. Lori Patterson, M.P.S.
Study Abroad Advisor
Singleton Building 119