Accessing your mailbox | Direct and indirect voice mail | Features of voice mail |
First time mailbox setup | Passwords | Quick facts | Transfer a call |
Requesting a voice mail account | Mail Scripts
Coastal Carolina University's voice mail system is the Avaya Modular Messaging system. With this system, voice mail can be obtained through your Outlook mail client. You also have the capability of sending and receiving faxes.
- On campus from your phone: Enter 6500, you will be prompted for your password.
- On campus from another phone: Enter 6500, "#", you will be prompted for your phone extension and password.
- Off campus: Dial 349-6500, "#" you will be prompted for your phone extension and password.
- If unanswered by receiver, the call will automatically be directed to the receiver's voice mail- box.
- If the receiver is on the telephone, additional calls will be forwarded directly to the voice mail system. Note: This is not the case with a multi-line telephone that is programmed with more than one incoming line.
- Calls to an extension within a call coverage group may continue to be picked up by pressing "#4".
"Indirect" voice mail
- If the call is not answered, it will be transferred to the call coverage point (designated extension or individual).
- If the call coverage point does not answer, the call will then be forwarded to the voice mailbox of the person originally called.
- Date and time stamp (anytime during playback, press 5 for this information).
- Reply to message (on campus) via email or voicemail.
- Sending a copy to another mailbox or email account.
- Group lists
- Send and receive faxes with email client.
(Sending a voice mail via email and sending and receiving faxes will need to be programmed on your Outlook by your IRC).
- Call the Avaya Modular Messaging System number: 6500. Off campus: 349-6500.
- Your temporary password is: "1"
When you dial in to your mailbox for the first time, you may hear "Hello". This Avaya messaging system can help you increase your communications efficiency. Your system manager has assigned you a temporary password…. This means that your system administrator has activated the set up tutorial, which helps guide you through the process of personalizing your mailbox. You hear it only the first time you dial in to your mailbox.”
The setup tutorial prompts you to change your password and to record your personalized prompts and greetings. This ensures that your mailbox is set up the way you want it. You should know, though, that even after you have set up your mailbox, you can change these settings at any time.
Playback controls when using the tutorial:
If you are using the tutorial, you can use the following commands:
When listening to instructions, use the following options when listening to instructions:
To continue 1
Repeat information 2
When recording prompts and greetings:
Accept the recording 1
Erase the recording 3
Exit from the tutorial *
(Note: you cannot use the star key (*) to exit from the tutorial when you are changing your password.
- When prompted, enter a new personal password.
- When prompted, record your name.
- When prompted, select the option to record a personal greeting and record your greeting. The university has some recommended scripts and greetings that should be used.
- Determined by the person's assigned voice mailbox.
- Passwords must be at least four digits in length.
- It is imperative that you select a password which you will be able to remember.
- The extension for the voice mail system is 6500.
- A voice mailbox will retain new and archive old messages for a maximum of 21 days.
- A voice mailbox will store a total of 21 messages. (Determined by recorded length. Can have a total of 30 minutes.)
- If you have a message in your mailbox that you do not need to listen to, etc.; to get to the end of this message, press 33, then delete (7) if applicable
- An extended absence greeting should be used if you plan on being out of the office for an extended period of time. Callers cannot skip your extended absence greeting. To record this special type of greeting select 4 (personal options), 3 (greetings), 2 (extended absence) from the main menu. (4,1,2 or use the subscriber options utility installed with the outlook add-in.)
- When using direct voicemail your personal greeting should be updated daily noting the current date.
- Press "Transfer", “7”, “Wait for prompt” to enter extension , enter extension (xxxx), press “Transfer".
Voice messageing gives you the ability to communicate effectively from any touchtone phone 24 hours a day. Accounts can be established by filling out the ITS Help Desk.
Direct Voice Mail: "You have reached the voice mail of (name) __________ in the Office/Department of ___________________ at Coastal Carolina University. Today is (day, date) __________. I am (identify if you are out for the day, in meetings, etc.) ____________________ and will return your call (day, date) _____________. If you would like to leave a message, please indicate your name, a detailed message and your telephone number at the tone. If you need immediate assistance, please press "0" or contact (name, number of person designated) ______________ at (phone number) _________. Thank you."
Indirect Voice Mail: "You have reached the voice mail of (name) __________ in the Office/Department of ________________ at Coastal Carolina University. Please leave your name, a detailed message and your telephone number at the tone. I will return your call as soon as possible. Thank you."
Office: "You have reached the voice mailbox for the Office of (or Department of) _________ at Coastal Carolina University. Please leave the name of the person you are calling, as well as your name, telephone number and a message at the tone. Your message will be relayed to the person you are calling as soon as possible. Thank you."
Summer Hours: "You have reached the voice mail of (name) _______________ in the Office/Department of ___________________ at Coastal Carolina University. Today is (day, date) ________________. I will be out of the office this afternoon. Please leave your name, a detailed message and a telephone number and I will return your call on (day, date) __________. [If you are calling to report an emergency situation, please contact Campus Law Enforcement at 349-2177.] Thank you."
Extended Absence: "You have reached (name) in the Office/Department of ____________ at Coastal Carolina University. I am away from the office until (date). If your call requires immediate attention, please call (name)_______at _______; otherwise I will return your call when I return. Thank you."