Kimbel Library Distance Learning Resources
Find Print and Electronic Books
To search for print or electronic books in Kimbel Library's online catalog, go to the library home page, type your keywords in the catalog search box and press enter. On the results page, view the "Limit to Library Catalog" option on the left column and under "Source Types" choose either Book or eBook. To view an eBook, choose "Retrieve Catalog Item" and then click on the link underneath the title that says "Electronic Book. Click here for access." If you are not on campus you'll be prompted to enter a username and password before you can view the eBook. This is the same information you use to log into your Coastal email and WebAdvisor.
Kimbel Library's print books are loaned for 21 days. There is no loan limit when viewing eBooks. If you would like to borrow a book that Kimbel Library does not own, you may borrow it from another PASCAL member library.
Find Online Journals, Newspaper Articles, Reference Materials & Videos
Kimbel Library subscribes to almost 200 online databases. These databases house electronic collections of over 60,000 journals, newspapers, reference books and videos.
- Search Databases by Keyword: Databases are a great place to begin your research. Most of Kimbel Library's databases can be searched at the same time using the Discover! search box in the center of the library's homepage. Simply type in your keywords and press enter to view your results. Under "Source Types" you can limit your results to academic journals, magazines or newspapers. To view the full-text of an article, view the "PDF Full Text," "HTML Full Text," or "Linked Full Text" option beneath the article's citation. As with electronic books, you'll need to enter your Coastal username and password in order to access the databases from off-campus. You can print, save or email the journal article and citation.
- Search for Specific Journals: Sometimes when searching for research materials, you may already know the name of the journal or journal article you'd like to find. If this is the case, you'll need to determine what database to search in order to find that journal or journal article. Click here or choose the "Journals A-Z" link beneath the Discover! search box on Kimbel Library's homepage to type the name of a specific journal. Once you've found the exact journal you need, you can search within it for specific articles. You'll be prompted to enter your Coastal username and password before you can view the journals. Kimbel Library also owns approximately 200 print journal subscriptions. Older, bound journals may be loaned for 21 days. Current journals are for library use only, excepting faculty who may borrow journals for one day. If you would like to view an article that Kimbel Library does not own, you may place a request through Interlibrary Loan.
- Need help? We provide the ability to chat, email or phone a librarian using our online reference service Ask a Librarian.
- Contact Ariana Baker, Distance Learning Librarian, at email@example.com or 843-349-5001.
- Please visit the Kimbel Library Tutorials page for detailed instructions about accessing Kimbel Library's books and articles.
- Kimbel Library has created an instructional video series that covers basic research skills. These videos were produced in support of University 110 and Biology 122, but may be consulted for general use as well.