Rules and Procedures
- There are two levels of competition. The Level 2 competition is open only to students who have taken, or are presently taking, a course beyond Algebra 2, such as Algebra 3, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, or Calculus. The Level 1 competition is open only to students who have taken, or are presently taking Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Algebra 2, or Geometry.
- Schools competing in the contest are divided by size. The South Carolina High School League sports divisions are used to place schools according to their sizes. The Large School division consists of 4A and 3A teams (enrollment of 880 or above) while the Small School division consists of 2A and 1A teams (enrollment of 879 or below).
- A maximum of twelve (12) students per school may participate in the contest - a maximum of six (6) in each level. Each high school may bring one or two faculty sponsors.
- A $12.00 nonrefundable registration fee will be charged for each student. Lunch and a T-shirt will be provided for each participant and sponsor.
Make checks payable to: Coastal Carolina University
Mail checks to: Coastal Carolina University
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
P.O. Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528-6054
- The competition on each level will be based on a written, objective, multiple choice examination in mathematics.
- The questions for the Level I competition will be taken from topics in Algebra I, II, and Geometry. Level II questions will be taken from topics in Algebra, Geometry, Advanced Algebra, and Trigonometry.
- Calculators may NOT be used on the tests.
- Several tie-breaker questions will be included on each examination.
- Participants will be allowed one hour to work on the tests.
- Coastal Carolina University faculty will have the responsibility of writing and grading the examinations.
- Individual Prizes - Individual prizes will be awarded to the top three (3) places in each category (Small Schools - Level 1, Small Schools - Level 2, Large Schools - Level 1, and Large Schools - Level 2). These individuals receive medals along with a gift.
- Team Awards - Plaques are given to the winning team in each category (Small Schools - Level 1, Small Schools - Level 2, Large Schools - Level 1, and Large Schools - Level 2). To determine the team score, the top three (3) individual scores on each level for each school are added together.
- Overall Winning School - The overall winning school is awarded a plaque. The overall winner is the school with the highest combined Level 1 and Level 2 team scores.
- Certificates - All students who compete in the contest will receive certificates of participation.