21st Coastal Carolina University Triathlon
Coastal Carolina University is hosting its 21st annual triathlon April 14, 2013. This event is open to all students, faculty and staff as well as the general public. This sprint triathlon that consists of a 300 yard swim, an 11 mile bike and a 3.1 mile run.
Sunday April 14, 2013
Coastal Carolina University
Williams Brice Recreation Center Swimming Pool & Campus, Conway SC
300yd Swim/11mile Bike/5k Run
Event Entry Capacity: 175
REGISTER at www.active.com
RACE FEES & DATES
CCU Individual participant (current student/faculty/staff): $30 until April 13, 2013
Individual Participant (non-CCU): $45.00 until March 29, 2013; $55 until April 13, 2013
CCU Relay Team: $75 until April 12, 2013
Relay Team (non-CCU): $105.00 until March 30, 2013; $115 until April 13, 2013
On-line Registration for this event closes on 04/12/2013 at 11:59:59pm. On-site registration MAY be available during normal packet pick up hours. On-site registration cannot be guaranteed.
For the swim, you MUST indicate on your entry your estimated swim time so that you may be placed in the appropriate position for swim start. (Please be as accurate as possible for your swim times.) It will be a zig-zag swim format, completing 2 lengths in each lane before moving under lane line to begin 2 lengths in next lane. Swimmers will proceed with this format for 12 total lengths of the pool – 300yards.
CHIPS/RACE TSHIRTS & RACE NUMBERS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR PICK UP UNTIL RACE MORNING! Race day packet pick up begins at 5:30am in the Williams Brice Recreation Center. See Map for location and for where to park for event.
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PARTICIPANT TO KNOW THE COURSE. Please review maps, ask questions and prepare in advance for course info. We will do our best to ensure our race volunteers direct you in the right place, but you hold the ultimate responsibility of knowing the course.
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED: Helmets must be worn on the bike portion of the race and are the responsibility of the participant. Beware of “speed bumps” on campus for those using a road bike. Individuals may use a mountain bike, however, awards are only given to overall mountain bike winners, all others will be included in the age group awards. Swimsuits, goggles, towels, running shoes and appropriate clothing are the responsibility of the participant.
- Swim: The swim will be a 300yd pool swim (zig-zag format) at the Coastal Carolina University Recreation Center. Participants begin in lane one completing 2 lengths in before moving under lane line to begin 2 lengths in next lane. Swimmers will proceed with this format for 12 total lengths of the pool – 300yards and then exit at the other side of the pool from the start position.
- Bike: The bike course is flat, with several turns leading cyclist across campus into Quail Creek neighborhood for an out and back loop. Upon exiting the Quail Creek neighborhood, cyclists will continue around the Coastal campus for 2 laps before finishing the 11 mile bike.
- Run: The run course is flat and fast 5K. It will be the same out and back course as the first portion of the bike.
- See bike and run course maps for further details.
- All cyclists will complete one full lap. Towards the end of the second lap, cyclists will turn left onto Tom Trout Dr off of Chanticleer Blvd. There will be a sign and a course monitor to direct.
- No swimming aids allowed.
- Helmets are mandatory. All helmets must be fastened before mounting bike and must be fastened until completely dismounted at the end of the bike portion.
- No drafting on the bike. Maintain at least 2 bike lengths behind another cyclists and if passing please do so within 60 seconds.
- All roads remain open during the race. Please be alert to motorists. We will have volunteers at major intersections to stop traffic, but it is also your responsibility to be alert to all traffic.
- Please yield to faster competitors.
- All participants will receive a chip. You must be wearing your chip at all times in order for you to have any race results.
- RELAYS will pass their chip strap to their teammate before transitioning to the next leg of the race.
- All participants MUST be wearing their assigned race number on the RUN leg of the race. No number may result in disqualification.
- Relay teams’ runner MUST be wearing race number bib when crossing finish line.
- Using lane lines for swimming assistance is prohibited.
- All bikes must be re-racked at your transition area.
We invite you to hang around for post race munchies while you wait for race results. Awards ceremony will be immediately following the race.
- Top 3 Overall Male and Female Individual winners in both Road Bike and Mountain Bike Divisions.
- Top 3 relay teams
- Top three individual M/F in the following age groups: <18, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65<