Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI)
Responsible Conduct of Research training for all faculty, staff and students performing research on campus is required certification for all CCU faculty, students and staff participating in research and sponsored programs/projects that require submission of a protocol to the IRB or IACUC.
Social and Behavioral Sciences
These trainings are provided by the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI). These modules need only be completed once and your scores are saved to a database.
Please click on this link CITI Program to register, create your account, and choose your discipline-specific area for training.
* Please note that it is not necessary to complete all of the modules in one session. The CITI system retains your information and you can access it at any time. Just be sure to remember your USERNAME and PASSWORD.
Coastal Carolina University faculty, staff, and students have unlimited access to the CITI Program so we invite faculty members to use this online training resource for classes which involve human participant research.
Presentation Handout and Guide
What is the Responsible Conduct of Research? How do I Learn About It? And Why Do I Care? (pdf)
First Time Users: Instructions for Completing Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Training
The training program consists of a number of modules which are grouped for your ease. Each track consists of required and optional modules. You must complete all of the required modules before you can move on to the optional ones. Completion of some optional modules may be required based on your type of research project.
If you are uncertain about what group and/or modules to complete, please see
Basic Course Requirements and Beyond the Basics Requirements or contact Bruxanne Hein, IRB Administrator and Director of the Office of Research Services, before beginning your training to be sure that you are completing all necessary modules for your research.
Please note that it is not necessary to complete all of the modules in one session. The CITI system retains your information and you can access it at any time.
A quiz follows each module. You must attain a score of at least 80% on each quiz. When you have completed the entire training, please print out your completion report. An e-mail of your completion will also automatically be sent to the Office of Research Services.
How to Register Steps to Register with CITI Program presentation
1. Go to http://www.citiprogram.org/
2. Click on 'Register Here'
3. Choose Coastal Carolina University from the drop down menu under Participating Institutions
4. Create your Username and Password
5. Enter your Preferred Email Address (secondary email is not needed)
7. Complete asterisked (*) information
8. Select the Learner Group which is most appropriate for your research - students select ONLY "students conducting no more than minimal research."
9. Skip Laboratory Animal Welfare if you are not conducting research with animals.
11. Answer Yes or No
13. You are now on the Main Menu page. This is the page you will see every time you re-enter the CITI system.
14. Go to My Courses and select Enter to begin your training.
15. If you have any questions, contact email@example.com
For questions about the CITI program, please contact the CITI Administrator:
Bruxanne E. Hein, M.Ed., C.R.A.
Director and IRB Administrator
Coastal Carolina University
Office of Research Services
PO Box 261954
Singleton Building 201C
Conway, South Carolina 29528-6054
- CITI Program
- RCR Refresher Course
- Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
- Export Controls
- Intellectual Property
- The Lab
- Sample Informed Consent
- Anonymous Survey Informed Consent Template
- Full Informed Consent Template
46.0° / 8.0° C