Welcome to the School of Coastal and Marine Systems Science
The School houses the Burroughs and Chapin Center for Marine and Wetland Studies and related graduate academic program. The mission of the School is to:
- advance the understanding of the complex interconnected environmental processes within the coastal zone through basic and applied research,
- train the next generation of coastal scientists to apply this knowledge to predict coastal environmental behavior and aid in addressing environmental issues important to society, and
- communicate the best science available to help society effectively manage critical coastal natural resources and the economies dependent upon them.
The School of Coastal and Marine Systems Science has multiple Ph.D. positions available in areas associated with coastal regions starting January 2015.
- Burroughs & Chapin Center for Marine and Wetland Studies
- Waccamaw Watershed Academy
- Environmental Quality Lab
- Anne Tilghman Boyce Coastal Reserve (Waties Island)
- Vessels (plus reservation link)