6 Minutes of Service
Once a month Volunteer Service offers short volunteer opportunities provided on campus for any passerby. So be on the lookout for fun projects such as:
- Decorating cat boxes for The Humane Society.
- Crafting felt/t-shirt scarves for a homeless shelter.
- Making get well cards to a cancer center or children’s hospital.
- Creating Valentine’s Day cards for nursing home residents.
Hunger and Homelessness Week
During the month of November in the spirit of thankfulness and giving the National Coalition for the Homeless and the National Student Campaign against Hunger and Homelessness set aside a week to sponsor the National Hunger and Homeless Awareness Week.
Joining the nationwide effort, Coastal Carolina University’s Volunteer Services is proud to host a variety of events for the week to bring greater awareness of the issues surrounding poverty in the United States and around the world through education, service and discussion.
Past Events Include:
- Poverty Simulation
- Sleep Out on Prince Lawn
- The OxFam America* Hunger Banquet
- Food Drives
Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service
To honor Martin Luther King's legacy through community service, Coastal Carolina University Volunteer Services hosts a Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service on January 21st.
The Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service is a part of United We Serve, the President's national call to service initiative. It encourages Americans from all walks of life to work together to provide solutions to our most pressing national problems.
Past Service Sites Include:
- Grand Strand Humane Society
- Salvation Army
- Embrace Hospice
- All 4 Paws
- The Boys and Girls Club of the Grand Strand
During the month of April Volunteer Services hosts a Peace Week. The objective of Peace Week is to provide an opportunity for students, faculty, staff and the community to celebrate diversity while raising awareness of the need for global justice and equality.
Past Events Include:
- Yoga on Prince Lawn
- TOM’s Day Without Shoes
- Tea and Ethic discussions
- Open Mic. Night
- The Great Day of Service (Which operates similarly to Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service)
- "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity." - Martin Luther King Jr.